Quitting smoking refers to how people who are addicted to smoking quit smoking. By actively or passively quitting smoking, it may be a chemical, physical, and spiritual way to quit smoking to remove the behavior of smoking addiction. You can use smoking cessation toothpaste to remove smoke stains and quit smoking.
Benefits of quitting smoking
After quitting smoking, the sensory nerves on the tongue restore the original sensitivity and can fully taste the flavor of various foods.
Bad Breath Elimination
When smokers talk to others, they often emit a disgusting smell of smoke. When smokers wake up in the morning, they often feel that their mouths are not refreshing and smelly. After you quit smoking, bad breath can be eliminated.
The blackened teeth of Jiaozuo have been regarded as a symbol of smokers. After stopping smoking, the dirt of the teeth will gradually retreat. At the same time, due to the improvement of oral hygiene, various oral diseases are significantly reduced.
Cough Solution Reduced or Stopped
Cigarette smoke stimulates the respiratory tract and prevents the self-cleaning function of the cilia, so most smokers cough and lick. After quitting smoking, the cilia returned to normal function, the sputum decreased, and the cough stopped.
Lower Blood Pressure
After smoking cessation, due to the improvement of systemic blood circulation, blood pressure can be reduced by 10-15 mm Hg, which is beneficial to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease such as arteriosclerosis and coronary heart disease.
After the smoking cessation, the role of nicotine is slowly eliminated, people become easy to fall asleep, and sleep well, fatigue is easy to get rid of, and full of energy.
After quitting smoking, vision can be improved to some extent.
Headache and shoulder pain will gradually disappear after quitting smoking, and it is not as easy to catch a cold as before.
Long-term Benefits after Quitting Smoking
The Risk of Cancer is Reduced
After 5-10 years of smoking cessation, the mortality rate of lung cancer is slightly higher than that of non-smokers. After quitting smoking 10-15, the chance of getting lung cancer can be reduced to the same as non-smoker. According to a survey conducted by Japan, the total amount of smoking is less than 200,000. After 4 years of smoking cessation, the mortality rate of lung cancer is the same as that of non-smokers.
The Mortality Rate of Coronary Heart Disease Decreased
In patients with coronary heart disease, after one year of smoking cessation, the mortality rate of coronary heart disease quickly decreased, and after 10 years, it fell to the same level as non-smokers. In the United Kingdom, doctors aged 35-64 were surveyed. During the 15 years from 1953 to 1968, the death rate from coronary heart disease decreased by 6% due to the cessation of smoking by many physicians, while the general population who did not quit smoking increased by 9% during the same period. Smoking is a risk factor for recurrent myocardial infarction, and smoking cessation is beneficial to avoid re-infarction.
To Prevent Changes in Lung Function
Many sources indicate that smoking can impair lung function. Asymptomatic smokers have a long history of smoking, routine lung function tests may be normal, if small airway function tests, often show that smokers have small airway dysfunction, and the longer the smoking period, the greater the irreversible impact on small airways . For those with a long history of smoking, routine lung function tests can show abnormalities.
Good for Eugenics
Smoking in pregnant women is extremely unfavorable for eugenics, which can easily lead to miscarriage , premature birth , stillbirth and fetal dysplasia. If you start smoking cessation 4 months before pregnancy, these adverse effects can usually be avoided.
Ulcer Disease is Easy to Cure
Smokers suffer from stomach and duodenal ulcers, and it is difficult to cure without smoking. To this end, patients with stomach and duodenal ulcers must quit smoking to accelerate the healing of ulcers.
To Prevent life Shortening
The average life expectancy of smokers is shorter than that of non-smokers. For example, a 25-year-old person smokes 40 cigarettes a day. His life expectancy is 8.3 years shorter than that of non-smokers of the same age, but after 10-15 years of smoking cessation, the average life expectancy is equal to that of non-smokers.
The Best Way to Quit Smoking
- Quit smoking From now on, the method of completely quitting smoking or gradually reducing the number of cigarettes can usually be successful in 3 to 4 months.
- Throw away smoking equipment, such as lighters, ashtrays, cigarettes, reduce your “conditional reflex”.
- Resolutely refuse the temptation of cigarettes, often remind yourself that smoking a cigarette is enough to make the plan to quit smoking. Avoid participating in places or activities that you are used to smoking.
- Drink water after meals, eat fruit or take a walk, get rid of the idea of a cigarette after a meal. Studies have shown that drinking more juice in the early stages of smoking cessation can help to eliminate the addiction of nicotine.
- When the addiction comes, you should immediately take a deep breathing activity, or chew the sugar-free chewing gum, avoid using snacks instead of cigarettes, otherwise it will cause blood sugar to rise, the body is too fat.
- Tell others that you have quit smoking, don’t give you cigarettes, and don’t smoke in front of you.
- Write down what you think is the reason for quitting smoking, such as for your own health, for your family, to save money, etc., carry it with you, and when you have a cigarette addiction, you can tell yourself.
- Develop a smoking cessation program to reduce the number of cigarettes you smoke every day.
- Arrange some sports activities, such as swimming , running , fishing, etc. On the one hand, it can alleviate mental stress and stress, on the other hand, it can avoid spending more thoughts on smoking.
- When you have the urge to smoke, you can use water to control it. It turns out that water is a great medicine to quit smoking. When you feel fasting or want to smoke, you should drink a glass of water slowly.
- If behavioral therapy alone is difficult to promote smoking cessation, nicotine replacement or non-nicotine drug therapy often helps smokers to quit successfully. Nicotine replacement therapy uses products containing trace amounts of nicotine, such as chewing gum, nasal sprays, or plasters applied to the skin, to help people who quit smoking to relieve irritability, insomnia , anxiety, and other violent symptoms during smoking cessation .
- When you really feel that it is difficult to quit smoking, you can consult a professional doctor for help. Getting support from family and friends is also crucial for successful smoking cessation.
What are the symptoms after quitting smoking?
Some people do not show obvious symptoms after quitting smoking ; some people may have one or more of the symptoms or signs listed below:
Thirst: often accompanied by dry mouth. Drink plenty of fluids, especially plenty of water, which helps remove toxins from the body.
Sleep Disruption: This is one of the more painful withdrawal symptoms, very common.
Lethargy: Once there is no chemical refreshing effect of nicotine, people who have smoked may have a greater sense of relaxation. Some people feel that they can fall asleep at any time. Taking a nap after a meal and extending the night’s sleep time may help to overcome this situation.
Difficult to Fall Asleep: Some people complain that it is difficult to fall asleep at night after reducing smoking. You can take advantage of the time when you can’t sleep: get up, read, write a letter or go for a walk. Do not drink irritating beverages such as tea, cocoa, milk-containing cola or juice .
Cough: After years of smoking, the lungs will produce a lot of mucus from Wei. During smoking cessation, the mucus will loosen and drain from the respiratory tract, and the cilia will begin to re-sport. People who quit smoking usually cough for a while (weeks).
Constipation: Many people complain of constipation after reducing the consumption of coffee, tea and other stimulating drinks related to smoking. Drinking four to six glasses of water a day can alleviate constipation.
Headache: The headache lasts for one day and may recur after one week. The reason is not clear.
Hunger: The body’s ability to absorb food is improved. Almost all smokers have an appetite after quitting smoking. In order to avoid gaining weight , you can do some physical exercise and eat low-sugar and low-calorie foods.
Night Sweats : Regular bathing can be alleviated. People who exercise regularly are less likely to experience severe night sweats.
Tremor: hands and fingers slightly trembling, can last for several weeks.
Mouth Sores: A small number of people who quit smoking can have oral irritation. Gingival blistering, aphthous ulcers or inflammation are caused by the adjustment of chemicals in the body. It may be caused by vitamin deficiency, and the diet and vitamin B and C supplementation can alleviate the symptoms.
Inattention: After the removal of carbon monoxide is often accompanied by some troublesome and inconspicuous symptoms. The sense of space and distance of the quitters will be affected, and there will be a feeling of floating and difficulty in concentration. At this time, you should avoid driving or operating the machine as much as possible.
Hand and Foot Itching: This is caused by the improvement of the circulatory system. Generally it won’t last long.
Scalp Soreness: This is also caused by the improvement of the circulatory system. Generally it won’t last long.
It can be seen that the appearance of “withdrawal symptoms” is not a bad thing at all. This is the sign that the body is recovering.
Changes in Life after Quitting Smoking
Smoking does have a lot of harm and no benefit, but most of the harm after quitting smoking can still be reversed. Because smoking is a slow-growing process, as long as you quit smoking in a timely manner, it may be eliminated to some extent or completely.
- After quitting smoking for 20 minutes: The body’s circulatory system improved with the reduction of nicotine content in the body after quitting, especially the hands and feet.
- After 8 hours of smoking cessation: the oxygen content in the blood reached the level of non-smoking, while the body’s carbon monoxide content was reduced to half.
- After 24 hours of smoking cessation: the benefits of smoking cessation to the heart, blood pressure and blood system will show up.
- After 48 hours of smoking cessation: Nicotine is completely eliminated, and you will find that your taste and smell begin to improve.
- After 72 hours of smoking cessation: breathing becomes easier and you will feel an improvement in your overall mental state.
- After 3-9 months of smoking cessation: any breathing problems have improved and lung efficiency has increased by 10%.
- After 1 year of smoking cessation, the excess risk of coronary heart disease is reduced by half compared with those who continue to smoke.
- Five years after quitting smoking: The risk of stroke falls to the level of never-smokers.
- After 10 years of smoking cessation: the risk of lung cancer is half that of normal people.
- After 15 years of smoking cessation, the risk of coronary heart disease is similar to that of never smokers. The overall risk of death is restored to the level of never-smokers. Therefore, it is not too late to quit smoking at any time, and it is best to quit smoking before serious health damage occurs.
What are the reasons for the failure to quit smoking?
Do not make sufficient mental preparation and material preparation for quitting smoking
This is a kind of light enemy thought. In this case, smoking cessation will fail in all likelihood. For most smokers, quitting smoking is a fight against tobacco addiction, not that they can completely control it. Therefore, it is necessary to have sufficient mental preparation, understand all useful knowledge and methods of smoking cessation, and formulate detailed smoking cessation strategies and plans. There are many ways to quit smoking. You should take the cessation of smoking cessation and adopt a smoking cessation method that suits you.
Did not find out the real reason for their smoking
Every smoker has reasons for Smoking, some for social needs, some for psychological stress, and some for fashion. Once you understand why you are igniting cigarettes, you will find other non-hazardous methods to replace cigarettes.
Some smokers are afraid of quitting smoking and are being teased
I am afraid that I will not openly declare that I want to quit smoking, but I am secretly determined to quit smoking. This is in a situation of loneliness, and it is difficult to quit smoking. Therefore, when you quit smoking, you should boldly seek the help of your family, colleagues, and friends, and remind people around you that you are quit smoking for the health of everyone, and hope to receive their encouragement and support. Say hello to everyone in advance and spread the news that you quit smoking. In this way, colleagues and customers will understand you, and will not hand you a cigarette, and there will be a lot less embarrassment. How about opening a family cessation “release conference”? Let your wife and children cooperate with you and exercise your speech and behavior when you refuse cigarettes. For example, you can say resolutely and politely: “Thank you, I don’t smoke!”
I will suck this one
For most people, even if they haven’t smoked for a few weeks, they can’t say that they’ve succeeded in quitting smoking. At this point, as long as a cigarette is lit, everything that was done before will be lost. Because once you smoke a cigarette, you will have a stronger impulse to suck the second, and then start smoking again. This dangerous idea of “I suck this one” is particularly prone to depression when I am depressed and doing nothing.
Smoking is more harmful after quitting smoking
Some smokers are determined to quit smoking , recognizing the dangers of smoking . But after a long time of quit, I couldn’t stand the temptation of cigarettes, and then smoke again. This method of smoking after smoking cessation is extremely undesirable.
Experts from a US university surveyed 477 people and concluded that those who re-smoker after quitting smoking were faster than those who had been smoking. Because people who smoke after smoking cessation are more susceptible to toxic substances in the smoke. Therefore, once smokers quit smoking, they must resolutely resist the temptation of cigarettes and completely quit smoking. Otherwise, smoking smoke will be re-absorbed in the middle of smoking cessation, and the harm to human health will be more serious.